Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Discussion in 'Wawayanda State Park' started by Mildly Wild, May 9, 2011.

1. huffster

huffster Well-Known Member

Thanks for update. I'm thinking about a Waway ride tomorrow.

That trail is called "Gravity" on Strava. I prefer it starting at the end near Buddha. It is challenging in either direction, but there is more climbing if you go at it the other way. And God knows, I try to avoid climbs whenever I can. :D

Kev likes this.
  2. trekfan

trekfan Member

a new trail you say? man i must keep missing it

there's a large tree down on banker just before plymouth. otherwise, everything looks good

3. huffster

2 points of entry for "Gravity" both off "Turkey Ridge" (shown below). If you go from the "Pines" end you will do more climbing, but don't miss-interpret that to mean its easy in the other direction. It is a challenging trail, either way. Here is a strava link that includes it. https://www.strava.com/activities/1008104542

upload_2017-7-17_8-40-45.png

Kaleidopete likes this.
  4. Kaleidopete

Kaleidopete Well-Known Member

I have this trail listed as Thirsty Dog on my map, I don't remember where I got the name, but I didn't make it up.
    So anyway, there it is.

thursty1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    thegock likes this.
  5. V-Dub

V-Dub Member

Thirsty dog is a trail east of Gravity towards Wildcat on the right.

Kaleidopete likes this.
  6. Kaleidopete

Thanks, I'll change it on my map

7. sundaydoug

sundaydoug New Member

I found Gravity last week and rode it from the Buddah end clockwise. Then I went back last night and rode it from the Pines end, super fun in either direction, great new trail. I also wound up on Thirsty Dog thinking I was on Split Rock and the trail sort of dead-ended up on a rock outcrop where I couldn't find any further trail. Is this trail an out and back? I'm familiar with Wawayanda's northern half, but I just moved to a neighborhood off of Clinton Rd. so I've been exploring the southern end of the park.

8. huffster

So, on the same Strava I linked above, I also rode most of "Thirsty Dog". See entrance (below), off Old Coal (downhill from both entrances to "Split Rock"). It does dead-end out on a rock outcrop. I drew that in in blue below (not to scale). But, about 1/2 way out there is a right turn (not sure if that is also considered "Thirsty Dog" . I think there is a cairn in another rocky area. That is what I did on this route instead of riding out to the dead-end. That dropped me out on Turkey Ridge just before the uphill toward "Buddha". And just before the upper entrance to "Gravity".

This southern stuff is some of the best tech that Wawayanda has too offer. "Split Rock" is another great trail in that area. In my mind it is a 1-way trail...DOWN!
    upload_2017-7-17_17-56-17.png

9. Kaleidopete

Looks good... thanks. I corrected my map and put "unknown" by that right side trail (pink).
    wawasouth.jpg

10. V-Dub

V-Dub Member

Out and back

11. huffster

@Kaleidopete
    Not sure if your '?' on the map is asking if that is 'Split Rock' or not. So, just in case, the answer is "Yes". There are 2 entrances.

Kaleidopete likes this.
  12. sundaydoug

sundaydoug New Member

Thanks! I was headed south on Turkey Ridge after riding Gravity and I kept going straight when the trail made a left turn, thinking I would hit Split Rock. After I turned around at the rock outcrop dead-end I found where I had missed the hairpin turn to get back to Old Coal, I ended up at the spot you have labeled as the entrance. The southern end of the park really is awesome, and I agree Split Rock is best ridden down!

Kaleidopete likes this.
  13. trekfan

trekfan Member

i was going to post that i wasn't sure this new one is thirsty dog. the thirst dog that's on existing maps just kind of dumps you off onto a big rock and abandons you. you need to backtrack to get out of it.

anyway, rode last night. not sure what's going on with the area just past nature jim's bridge, but there's a constant flow of water there now. very hard to navigate on or off the bike without getting wet. also that first rock bridge on pumphouse from the aux parking lot is completely underwater. prepare to swim